Anthropology of an American Girl


Sometimes there are those books that for one reason or another find themselves stuck on your bookshelf or bedside table for a long time. You may pick them up and start to read but it's not the right moment, so they remain dusty until they call out to you again. I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled across this book originally, but I am certainly glad I did. Because I've finally cracked into it, and wow, it's just such a beautifully written poetic novel that hits upon so many truths of growing up an American girl. I find myself wanting to dog ear almost every page...quotes that you don't want to forget. Hilary Thayer Hamann if you're out there, I love you. From Amazon.com:

Originally a self-published cult hit in 2003 (since reedited), Hamann's debut traces the sensual, passionate, and lonely interior of a young woman artist growing up in windswept East Hampton at the end of the 1970s.

Reply