Shocked and saddened...



I am so shocked to learn this morning of the death of Alexander McQueen. I wanted to take a moment to remember how influential he has been to me throughout the years as a designer. I have studied fashion and costume design throughout my life. My mother was a seamstress and taught fashion designers, there was always stray pattern pieces, yards of materials, tools, pins in the house. Projects to be working on, contests to enter. The first time I ever read about McQueen was in Vogue...I will never forget the article because it described how he scribble-sewed “I am a c*nt” into the sleeve lining of a suit he was working on for Prince Charles. This blew my mind. He was the first designer to speak to me and show me that fashion could be theatrical, it could be art, and most importantly it could be irreverent. Whenever I was told that something couldn't be done in construction I of course then wanted to do it...and I loved that I had someone to emulate. From the bumsters to the spray paint, I adored everything that he did. I recently stopped everything at work to watch his last show live and it didn't disappoint. He will now be remembered as an icon.

Reply