Karin Apollonia Müller

Karin Apollonia Müller is one of my favourite photographers. She takes soft photographs of Los Angeles that are at once beautiful and uneasy, quiet, lonely and on the brink of disaster, showing a version of the city that is entirely different from the Los Angeles of the popular imagination. When her work was shown at The Photographer's Gallery in London they wrote:


[Müller] grew up on a Rhine river barge. Her father, the captain, built her a swing and she remembers swinging high above the boat, flying and floating above the landscape. This experience of being in a place out of place, is echoed in her work. She says, 'I give testimony to my own perspective of a world which produces a state of constant exile, where we are banished from such comforting notions as "centre" or "home". I am an emigrant, not in the sense of a foreign worker, expelled citizen or refugee, but through my understanding of myself as a homeless being, floating and reflecting.

How immigrant artists, particularly photographers, see their environments is something that I am very drawn to and I think this is a deeply compelling aspect to how Müller's work functions. At the same time, the socio-political, ecological and aesthetic content of her photographs look to me like the visual manifestation of Mike Davis's writings on Los Angeles as an apocalyptic space.

See more of Karin Apollonia Müller's work on her website.

1 Response Subscribe to comments


  1. robbergirl

    beautiful. I love the idea of a swing on a ship... romantic

    December 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Reply