What's so wrong with supporting the arts?

In the face of mounting criticism of the stimulus bill, I just have to say I think it's amazing that President Obama includes funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. As Whitehouse.gov states, "The arts embody the American spirit of self-definition." As an artist myself I think every designer, illustrator and artist out there agrees with me that our industries could use some help too! Plus it's a proven fact that children who participate in music and art do better in all aspects of their lives - this is true for all of us. The arts are essential to our communities - stimulus comes in many shapes and forms, and the lack of disregard for arts and science in this country has set us back greatly. I sincerely hope this funding remains in the final form of the stimulus bill.
National Endowment for the Arts

Reply